My absolute favorite bean is the cannelini bean because they are so soft and creamy. They are wonderful in soups, pasta dishes, as a dip, in a stew or mashed up. Last night I made a bunch of slow cooker white beans* and then cooked them up with veggies and seasonings.
- 3 cups cooked or canned cannelini beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon vegan margarine (optional)
- In a medium heavy bottom pot heat the olive oil over medium-high heat; stir in the onion, celery and carrot and cook for 7-10 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute, then add the white wine and Italian seasoning and cook for 5-8 minutes.
- Stir in the beans, salt, pepper and broth and cook for 10 minutes on medium-low heat.
- Taste for seasonings, add margarine if desired and then serve with your favorite veggies, over rice or with a nice slice of crusty bread.
*To make slow cooker white beans or any slow cooker beans soak beans over night then drain and rinse. Place in a slow cooker pot and cover with water an inch above the beans. Cover the beans and turn to low and cook for 6-9 hours. I usually put mine on in the morning before work and cook on low until I’m ready to use them for dinner.
my pesky little helper