I don’t bake often because all the recipes I find are usually filled with sugar and/or oil; both of which make me cringe at thinking about putting all of that in 12 little muffins. I was thinking yesterday what can I do to make a yummy baked good without all the sugar and oil and I came up with these yummy little things.
For these muffins I used pumpkin puree instead of oil and I used a little bit of agave nectar to add a touch of sweetness.
Whole Wheat-Masa Pumpkin Muffins
Makes a dozen muffins
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 10-12 minutes
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cups masa harina or fine yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 2/3 cups unsweetened almond milk or other non-dairy milk
- 2 teaspoons coconut vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
Preheat oven to 400F and either lightly grease or line a cupcake pan
- In a medium bowl stir together the almond milk and coconut vinegar, set to the side for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl mix together the whole wheat flour, masa harina, baking powder and salt.
- Whisk the pumpkin puree and agave into the almond milk.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until just combined.
- Fill a 12 cup muffin pan and bake for 10-12 minutes, until lightly browned.