To me it really doesn’t seem like Christmas without gingerbread. We usually make gingerbread cookies or gingersnaps, which I know isn’t the same as gingerbread but we like ginger something at Christmas. This year I decided to make cupcakes but not just any cupcakes these ones have beer in them, Chocolate Bock to be exact. The Chocolate Bock is a dark beer that is slightly sweet.
Makes 18 cupcakes
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine (Earth Balance)
- 1 cup raw sugar
- 3 “eggs” (I used Egg Replacer)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 cup Chocolate Bock or other dark beer (stout or dark bock would work best)
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line a 12 cupcake pan and a 6 cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- In a stand mixer or large bowl with an electric beater, cream together the margarine and raw sugar. Beat in the “eggs” until combined.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, cloves, and nutmeg.
- In a another medium bowl combine the molasses and beer and stir to dissolve.
- Add the dry ingredients and beer mixture alternately to the margarine mixture, beating after the addition of each.
- Fill the cupcake liners until about 3/4 full and bake for 20-22 minutes until lightly browned and when a tooth pick is inserted it comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes in the pan and then remove and continue to cool on a wire rack. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, frost with vanilla frosting or glaze with my orange spice glaze (recipe below).
Orange Spice Glaze
- 1 box of lite silken tofu (I used mori-nu)
- zest and juice of 1 medium orange
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ginger
- 1.5 cups powdered sugar
- Place all ingredients in the blender and blend until smooth.