If you follow me on social media than you know we are doing a big cleaning and de-cluttering of our home. Along with this we are working on giving our home a bit more character by adding more decorative pieces to our home. I’ve come to realize through this process that decorating your home doesn’t have to be complicated if you just keep it simple.
Five Easy Ways To Update Your Home Decor:
- Throw Pillows or Blankets. It’s amazing what tossing a few decorative throw pillows or blankets on your couch does to your room. It gives a level of interest, color, texture and design. I fell in love with these illustrated cat and dog pillows (you can find them here). They are fun and would be great on a neutral or bright colored couch.
- Prints & Personalized Items. New art always adds flare to any room, even if it’s the only thing you change in the room. Choose pieces that really speak to you because remember you have to look at it day in and day out. It’s also fun to get fun personalized pieces such as this cameo portrait piece that you could have done of you and your partner, family or even a family pet. See this page for more ideas for prints or personalized pieces.
- Upgrade Unsightly Necessities. When I was looking for decorative ideas on UncommonGoods I came across these paper pots. Basically you take a roll of toilet paper or de-box tissues and place them in the paper pots; it really makes a decorative alternative to unsightly issue boxes.
- Candles. I used to be anti- candles and for a long time I would only buy them around the holiday season when I wanted to mimic the smell of a fresh Christmas tree but in the past few years I have become hooked on candles. They really make a nice and homey feely to a room. I love woodsy smells in the Fall and Winter and fresh Earthy or herbal smells in the Spring and summer.
- Something Unexpected. I think it’s always fun to add a little something unexpected to a room, especially a main living area. For us it is this recycled picnic mat. We keep it rolled up by our book stand and pull it out for living room picnic dates. If you have littles ones it’s a perfect way to keep the mess of your carpet while still having a fun picnic.
We are trying to be intentional about our choices and we are only adding items that we truly love and/or serve a purpose. Along with being intentional about what we are purchasing we are also looking at where we are making our purchases.
When making socially conscious purchases I like to consider UncommonGoods because they are feature unique products that are ethically created. Many of their items are handmade, made in the USA and/or are made from recycled/upcycled materials. I also love that I can find lots of Oregon made products such as those pillows and the cameo print above.
Overall decorating your home doesn’t have to be a hassle and you really don’t even need to leave your house to find fun, unique and ethically made products.
Disclaimer: This post was created in collaboration with UncommonGoods. This is a paid post however all thoughts are my own.