I think my favorite time of the year to visit the farmers market is just at the end of summer when it starts to get a bit cooler and the produce is starting to change to apples and squash and you get the last of the summer fruits. This week the littles and I headed to the Hollywood Farmers Market and we found ourselves coming home with an abundance of fruit including some beautiful fresh and dried Italian plums.
While I could have just left them alone and enjoyed snacking on them throughout the week I had a craving for some really yum crumble. I didn’t want anything to sweet or heavy, just a really light crumble that highlighted these delicious Italian plums. Since I find that plums and almonds are fantastic together I thought let’s break out the almond meal for this one and along with a few other ingredients a delicious crumble was formed.
- 10-12 Italian plums, pitted and sliced
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons gluten free rolled oats
- 4 tablespoons almond meal
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- Pre-heat oven to 375F
- Toss the plums with the coconut sugar and vanilla and evenly fill six lined muffin cups.
- Stir together the coconut sugar, oats and almond meal. Add in the coconut oil and crumble together.
- Top each of the plum cups with the crumble topping.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20-22 minutes until lightly browned.
- Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before enjoying. Serve with your favorite vanilla frozen dessert.
Of course no crumble is complete without some vanilla “ice cream” with it. Especially when the crumble is still warm enough to melt the ice cream as you eat it and you end up with this creamy sauce at the end that you could just drink up. Needless to say with the help of my parents all of the crumbles are gone and I’m hoping that this Saturday there will be more Italian plums for me to make this crumble again.