After posting this dinner last night on my Instagram I had a few requests for the recipe so here it is.
We spent most of yesterday out of the house at the Wooden Shoe Tulip Festival about an hour south of Portland. It was luckily a beautiful day and we soaked up the sun and festival with friends.
After parting ways we headed to the outlets since they were on the way home and mama needed some new clothes. After two many hours of shopping we finally headed home. While in the car we got to talking about dinner and discussed grabbing dinner out but Edith insisted that we eat dinner at home and that we have mac and cheese. We agreed but first stopped to pick up a few provisions which included the ingredients to make said mac and cheese.
My original thought was to do a customize your own mac and cheese and then Neil said “you know what would be really good [in the mac and cheese] some of that Sweet Earth bacon” so his brilliant idea won. I added kale because kale + bacon is great and because greens. Everyone enjoyed it and it was deemed a must make again meal.
- 3/4lb of Small Pasta, cook according to package
- 2 Tablespoons Earth Balance
- 2 Tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- 1 2/3 Cup Unsweetened Almond Milk, room temperature or lightly warmed
- 1 Cup Shredded Dayia Cheddar Cheese
- 4 Garlic Cloves, divided
- 1 Vegan Chik'n Boullion Cube
- 1 Package Sweet Earth Natural Foods Benevolent Bacon, thinly sliced
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil, divided
- 1 Bunch Lacinato Kale
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- While pasta is cooking saute the kale and 2 cloves of garlic in 2 teaspoons of olive oil over medium-high heat until softened. Remove from the pan and set aside; add the remaining olive oil and sautee the bacon until lightly browned. Set aside.
- In a small sauce pan heat melt the Earth Balance over low heat. Whisk in the flour and cook on low for 90 seconds whisking the entire time. Whisk in the the garlic and cook for 30 more seconds.
- Slowly whisk the almond milk into the Earth Balance and flour mixture and then whisk in the vegan chik'n boullion cube. Cook over medium-high heat until the sauce coats the back a spoon.
- Add the Dayia to the sauce and whisk until combined. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Once the pasta is cooked and drained return the pasta back to it's pot and add all the ingredients. Stir to combine.
What is your favorite mac and cheese recipe? Do you like to add anything special to yours?