• 1T olive oil
• 1 medium sweet onion, diced
• 1 carrot, peeled and diced
• 1 celery stalk, diced
• 4-5 medium garlic cloves, minced
• 1 jalapeno, minced*
• 1 tsp paprika
• 1 tsp Italian seasoning
• 1/4 tsp tumeric
• 1/2 tsp chili powder
• 1 tsp salt
• 1/2 tsp black pepper
• 1/3 cup white wine or vegetable broth
• 1 bay leaf
• 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
• 1 (6oz) can tomato paste
• 1 (15oz) can of black eyed peas,rinsed and drained OR 1 & 2/3 cups cooked black eyed peas
• 3 cups kale, collards or mustard greens, chopped into bite sized pieces
1. In a medium heavy bottom pot heat the olive oil over medium-high heat; stir in the onions, carrots and celery. Cook for 6-8 minutes until they begin to soften.
2. Stir in the garlic and jalapeno; cook for 1 minute.
3. Stir in the paprika, Italian seasoning, turmeric, chili powder, salt and pepper; cook for 30 seconds.
4. Stir in the white wine and cook for 2-3 minutes until the wine has cooked off.
5. Stir in the bay leave, vegetable broth, tomato paste and black eyed peas; reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 10 minutes.
6. Stir in the kale; cover and cook on medium-low for 10 minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Serve over brown rice.
*If you don’t like a lot of heat or are serving this dish to kids you may want to omit the jalapeno.