Kabocha Squash with Maple Walnut Butter
I know you’d think after making it so many times I would have taken a better picture, eh?
This is one of my absolute favorite side dishes to date. Over the Thanksgiving Holiday weekend I made this recipe no less than three times. This recipe is wonderful with the creamy kabocha squash but is also wonderful with delicata squash as well. I encourage you to use your favorite squash, I am sure butternut and acorn would work as well.
Serves 4 as a side
- 1 medium kabocha squash, seeds removed and cut into 1/2 inch thick half moons
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons Earth Balance
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/3 cup raw walnut halves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Toss squash with olive oil and pour into a Roasting Pan or rimmed sheet pan. Bake for 20 minutes.
- While the squash is baking place all of the remaining ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth.
- After the squash has roasted for 20 minutes, remove from the oven and brush with the maple walnut butter. Return to the oven and bake for 10 more minutes or until the squash is tender.