For dinner last night I made kasha (buckwheat groats) for the first time and served with steamed broccoli, sautéed summer squash and a butternut squash & red lentil dahl. I am now in love with kasha it is so good. It is also great because it is so quick to make only takes about 15 min. My parents came over and they enjoyed the meal and I can’t wait to make it again.
Serves 6 to 8
• 3 tablespoons Earth Balance
• 1 small onion, finely chopped
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• 1 1/2 cups buckwheat groats (also known as kasha)
• 3 cups vegetable stock
• Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
1. In a large straight-sided skillet with a lid, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add groats to skillet, and increase the heat to high and cook about 2 minutes. Add stock, and season with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to low, and simmer, covered, until tender and all of the liquid has absorbed, 10-15 minutes.
Recipe for Butternut squash and red lentil dahl
□ 1 can of organic butternut squash
□ 1 and ½ cups red lentils, rinsed and checked over
□ 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled
□ 1T ground cumin
□ 1 tsp turmeric
□ A small stick of cinnamon
□ 4 cups hot vegetable stock
□ 2 red onions, thinly sliced
□ 2-3 T olive oil
□ 2 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
□ 1T chili flakes
□ 2 t lemon juice
□ ¼ cup sour supreme
□ 2T chili sauce
Put the cumin, turmeric, cinnamon, lentils and hot water into a saucepan. Grate the ginger straight into the pan.
Simmer on a low heat for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile heat the olive oil in a frying pan and add the onions. Cook the onions on a med-low until golden and caramelized.
Once the lentils have absorbed all of the water remove the cinnamon stick and discard.
Stir the squash, sour supreme, chili sauce and lemon juice into the lentils and simmer on low for 10 min
Add the garlic and chili flakes to the onions and cook on a low heat for another 10 minutes. Add the onion mixture to the dahl, reserving some for garnish.